Monday, May 5, 2008

Let's Make Some NOISE!

Robin and I worked on this lift all weekend long. For god's sake, it couldn't possibly be any more uncomfortable. You need the neck and ankles of Iron Man. But, we'll do just about anything to rouse up some whooping and hollering for our Independent Bookstores. Uh, like asking a lot of introverts to make some N-O-I-S-E!

As you can see, we've started our daily posting of the indie bookstores that we want to recognize-- cool places that you've recommended. And uh, it's as quiet as a church on Monday around here. Would you help us start a cyber wave here?

Every time we post about a new indie, will you reply with an e-cheer? We're inviting all the booksellers to come on by and wallow in the groovy love. And, if you'll click on the indie's link and give them a personal wave, even cooler.

SHOP your indies this month! If you can't get out, and you don't have an independent near you, you can orders books through Booksense, your on-line connection to all the independently owned bookstores. Please help us support these heroes of our literary world.

Let's hear it! Robin and I have vowed to stay in this godawful lift until we've got some happy noise going! (And, a-hem, one of us has a very busy little bladder--and her name doesn't start with an "R". Please don't leave us like this.)

So, here's to Chaucer's in Santa Barbara, the Toronto Women's Bookstore, and Maria's Bookshop in Durango! You're all THAT and a bag of books!

~(:-])
Mary

10 comments:

Shari Green said...

Woohooo! Heading off to those indies now to share the love. :D

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

I posted a link to your celebration of the Independents on my blog.

I've been hoping that everyone's just too busy checking out the bookstores to make a lot of noise. That quiet is the sound of pages turning.

But here's a cheer anyway:
RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl said...

Independent bookstores are so important. They know books inside out--unlike the big corporate bookstores. So Yay!

Anonymous said...

I stayed in Pasadena last night and took Colorado Ave (Blvd?) out toward the freeway, with one huge stop. Vroman's Bookstore. My ode to the place is posted at my blog:http://beckylevine.livejournal.com

jeanreagan said...

(I'm new to this blog, so I'm not sure this is successfully posting.) But yaay to independent book stores! My motto is, "I only go to Barnes and Noble to shoplift!" Okay, I'm kidding.

Thanks for doing this!

Jean

Mary Hershey said...

Hi, Jean! You posted just right. Thanks for jumping in.

And, thanks to all the rest of you, too, and your fine cheering.

:-)
Mary Hershey

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope you're going to post about the Twin Cities in Minnesota--we have tons of excellent indies here!

Mary Hershey said...

Amy, send us the info on one of your faves and we might be able to squeeze them in.

:-)
Mary

Anonymous said...

I do not have an independent book store near me. Frown. I think that’s a good enough reason to move, don’t you?! I added a link on my blog for Book Sense. Toot! And to all the independents out there:

HOORAY! HOORAY!

Anonymous said...

Well, OK then! Personal fave is Micawber's in St. Paul, MN (www.micawbers.com), a small, eclectic bookstore near the U of M St. Paul campus. Friendly, quiet, excellent selection, knowledgeable booksellers, and ever-eager to promote books that aren't necessarily mainstream.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Birchbark Books (www.birchbarkbooks.com) in Minneapolis. It's owned by novelist Louise Erdrich, and it's kind of Minneapolis' counterpart to Micawber's. Plus it's exceedingly kid-friendly, complete with a treehouse loft for them to play and read in.

Both stores partner with various community organizations to provide readings and other events. And both are wonderful places to shop.