Friday, May 2, 2008

Let the National Independent Bookseller Parade Begin!

Dear Friends,

As promised, we are kicking off our non-stop parade of indies during the entire month of May in celebration of our
2nd Annual National Independent Bookseller Month here at Shrinking Violets. Keep those names of your favorite indies coming. All of you that submit a bookstore name and the 4-1-1 on it will be entered into our drawing for a gift bag that starts with ten new children's books. . . but that's not all!

Taking a well-deserved lead in our parade is my favorite local indie--
CHAUCER'S BOOKSTORE right in my own 'hood. I'm just fresh in from a visit, where I was thrilled to see the new paperback edition of Robin's book, Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, along with a host of other titles from friends and children's writers that I admire. (Hey, Bruce, I just read your new Snoring Beauty. It's a riot--yada yada hippity hop!)


All the best books kids need access to are there. The staff in the children's section read-read-read, and they love books. What a concept, huh? They know their stuff. No sooner than a title inquiry is out of my mouth, it's in my hands. My sidekick made our first, but not last, purchase of the month there. Let the shopping and love-in begin! If you are ever in Santa Barbara, check them out. I know you'll love them as much as Robin and I do!

Chaucer's Books
Loreto Plaza
3321 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
(805) 682-6787
events@
chaucersbooks.com


Link to Chaucer's


Stay tuned! We'll be back each and every day-- no kidding. =-]


Mary Hershey




2 comments:

Cheryl said...

My two favorite independent children's bookstores in Toronto, ON (Canada) are the Flying Dragon Bookshop (www.theflyingdragon.ca) and Mable's Fables (www.mabelsfables.com) (named after Mable, the store cat).

Both bookstores have very friendly and knowledgeable staff, who know and love children's books. I love talking with them. Both also offer great atmospheres.

I know Mable's Fables a bit better, because I've belonged to a children's writing critique group for 10 years that regularly meets there. Mable's Fables has a comfy couch to sit on upstairs.

The Flying Dragon Bookshop:
1721 Bayview Ave.
Toronto, Ontario M4G 3C1
tel: 416-481-7721

1 1/2 blocks south of Eglington Avenue


Mable's Fables:
662 Mount Pleasant Road
Toronto, ON
tel: 416-322-0438

Mable's Fables now has an online store at their site.

tanita✿davis said...

Boy, to live in SB *AND* have an indie bookstore right in your neighborhood? Lucky, lucky you! This place looks great!