Monday, December 1, 2008

Attention Introverts! Please Report to Your Charging Stations

Turns out that turkeys are not the only victims of the Thanksgiving holiday-- introverts are falling by the droves.  I just imploded in an LA Borders bookstore where I was trying desperately to do some Shrinking Violets research and fill my dry-as-dust well.  But there were people there TALKING-- not only to each other, and to people on their yellulars, but some were talking to themselves.  And there was loud music and a lot of extremely loud chewing coming from the cafe.

I fled.  Which is why I can't do the truly arresting piece I was going to do on the strange similarities in the marketing trajectories for Twlight and Fancy Nancy. And how you could use that to information to infuse your next book's marketing plan with the exact same kind of rocket fuel.  Man, it was going to be a good one!  I really hate for you to miss it.

But, I am now officially Out of Order.  Spent. Only one bar showing.  After four days of family time, celebration time, alleged "down time," I am face down, doing the Dead Woman's Float.  Thanksgiving is way harder than going to work. And, I didn't even cook! I made raw Bliss Balls, and salad, for god's sake. Didn't travel that far. Still it did me in.  We really should wear Medical Alert bracelets so that when we're found unconscious, our rescuers would know what to do.  Introvert Alert:  To resuscitate, remove from all sources of talking.

So, while you are missing some brilliant advice about promoting your work, I'm calling the gang all in.  Everybody!  Back to your charging dock.  We've got to get juiced up again. In case you're too far gone for self-care, here are some ideas to get you started.

Turn OFF all your psychologically-pleasing-rectangular-devices.

Find a closet, a flashlight and a good book. 

Nap with a cat or other self-possessed animal.

Play solitaire. (Instruct the Queens, Jacks and Kings that there will be no talking!)

Ballroom dance by yourself.

Go for a walk/hike/kayak/cross-country ski/Ididerod.

Put your hoodie on backwards and pull it all the way up.

Take yourself, a good disguise, and a big, fat magazine out to lunch. 

Climb a tree that has a lot of big leaves for privacy.

Go somewhere new and get lost on purpose. Revel in it!

Sit in an empty church, synagogue, mosque, or confessional.

Take a bath with the door locked.  Bolted.  Chair jimmied under knob.

Repeat as needed.

A word of caution, friends. We are just three short weeks in front of yet another flood of holidays.  Rest up!  You've got to pace yourselves. 

Reporting live from the Comfort Inn, which is way short on comfort, but blessedly quiet--

Mary Hershey

(Charging)

 

19 comments:

Ruth King said...

I am in full introvert survival mode this week. The backwards hoodie sounds like a really good option.

tanita✿davis said...

I have a balaclava so that only my eyes show... and ONLY so *I* can see; I can pull it all the way up.

I am deeply not looking forward to Christmas with the full family -- and I feel sort of awful about it. I'm coming from five thousand miles away, and then I hope to hide in my room. Fortunately, a friend is going out of town and has given me his keys. Bliss.

Dharma Kelleher said...

I am pushing ahead to finish the final 20K words of my rough draft. The red light in my brain keeps blinking "Please Recharge or Risk Losing Your Sanity".

Assuming crash position.

R.L. LaFevers said...

Amen, sister! I think I need one of each of your fabulous suggestions!

Yat-Yee said...

I, too, am particularly taken with the hoodie idea. Hope your recharging is going well.

Karen L. Simpson said...

I've been holded in my bed with a little dog who also needed down time from the family. What a great post.

Miriam Forster said...

(Gasp, wheeze...) Mysteries! Must read cozy mysteries! Must escape people and talking and holiday-shopping-customers!

Actually it wasn't Thanksgiving that fried me. I had the good fortune to marry into a family of introverts, so we talked around the table and then scattered to our respective books/computers/puzzles.

But I work in a coffee shop and I worked Black Friday and most of Saterday.

I'm still recovering from that one...

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Wild About Words said...

Charge on, Mary!

caryl said...

Oh man, you get me,and you don't even know me! Very funny piece. I'm going to post a link to your blog on my blog, that's how much I heart you. And then I'm, let's see...climbing into the dog kennel with "Girl Interrupted" until Sparky kicks me out.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully I telecommute, so I only have to venture out of the house a few times a week for groceries. Even then, the roar of people toting screaming children and shouting into their cell phones against the background of tinny Christmas carols threatens to overcome me. The holidays are quite a trying time for those of us who want to be hermits when we grow up.

Terry P. said...

Oooh, Mary--I'm going to go read "Chains" with my cat on my lap while my husband is away teaching his night class.

Thanks for reminding me to s-l-o-w down.

Terry

Mary Hershey said...

I heart this community! Really loving hearing about all the self-care happening-- solitude, reading, pets, lying about, reveling in hermithood. Strong work!

Still charging,
Mary Hershey

Kimbra Kasch said...

I spent this TG at home. My very first TG at home. It was bliss! I read two books. In fact my husband said, "You're reading too much!"

Imagine, what a crime.

We all need a little down time - some time.

caryl said...

Just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed hiding in my dog's kennel and reading yesterday, though -as you can tell by the photo- it was a tight squeeze. The neck pain and leg cramps today were totally worth it.
;)

Anonymous said...

I've been having a weird experience the last few weeks that I think is introvert-based. I've been reading a LOT of books for research--wonderful books--but not my usual comfort escapism. Then I pulled one of Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak mysteries off my shelf, and now I'm in a serious rereading binge--trips to the used bookstore and the library of absolute necessity. I think I actually pushed myself into an extrovert READING Zone, if that's possible?

Lisa Schroeder said...

I'm taking a long bubble bath tonight. I need it.

Great list!!!

Thomma Lyn said...

My word for the holiday season is the Hellidays! Heh, need I say more? ;)

R.L. LaFevers said...

"Hellidays." Heh heh. You are definitely one of us, Thomma Lyn! Welcome!