Monday, September 15, 2008

Getting My Rear In Gear or Theo 2 Marketing Plan

Well time is zinging right along, as it is wont to do, and I find myself rather stunned to be facing the sixty days and counting mark for the launch date of the second Theodosia book, Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris. Yikes. How did that happen??

Originally I had big, long Marketing To Do List, including creating a myspace page, facebook account, video trailer, updated website, increased Theo blogging leading up to the launch date, etc. Dear lord, just typing that makes me exhausted!

And as always, I find myself in the position of having to choose between marketing/promotional activities and writing the next damn book. This is especially true since I sold a second series and have two looming deadlines this fall. As an introvert, my personal preference for marketing activities is always writing the next book, however, I also acknowledge that a little bit more than that is required. ;-)

Luckily, when consulting our handy dandy master list I find that I already have a number of the basics in place; my website, I actively blog here at SVP, I had an updated author photo taken, I have an author bio, and I’m on my publishers “Authors Who Visit Schools” master list. Plus, I have done a few book specific things, like have an initial conversation about an overall marketing plan with my publisher, as well set a date with our local indie bookstore, Chaucers, for a booksigning/launch. I have not, however, come up with any brilliant angles for said launch or signing, but my subconscious is working furiously on it.

The answer, of course, is compromise, as is so often the case. I had to give up my pie-in-the-sky, full bore marketing plans for a more realistic approach, one that involves a more manageable to do list that will allow me to meet my writing deadlines and do a little breathing on the side.

Robin’s Modified Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris Marketing Plan

  • Video Trailer - I actually wrote the script for this on the plane ride back from SF, but have decided that instead of struggling with the steep learning curve this will require, I’m going to contact the local high school and see if there is a student who in interested in taking on this project fror either $ or class project/credit. I'll keep you posted.
  • Myspace Page – After a little prompting from my publisher, and hearing a lot of good advice on the subject I decided to go ahead and put up a myspace page, although I’ve not been able to put much time or energy into it yet.
  • Facebook page – I've decided to hold off on this and add only one new social networking commitment per book.
  • Website Update - Probably the biggest thing on my to do list is to update both my Theodosia Throckmorton and author websites, which I’ll get right on next week when the boys leave for school.
  • Increased blogging entries from "Theodosia" on website to lead into opening of Book Two
  • Have marketing conversation with publisher/publicist - done!
  • Order bookmarks and/or postcards
  • Brainstorm Launch - I'm thinking, I'm thinking!
  • Set up local events - in progress

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Robin!

We will come up with something brilliant and very Theodosia-esque for your launch-- count on it!

Live from the wetlands of Texas,
Mary

tanita✿davis said...

I was just thinking, "Oh, my gosh! November is coming! I can't wait for the Theodosia sequel!!!"" How funny to think of this from two sides.

Yeah, my big PR plan is "write the next book," too. Alas...

Anonymous said...

That’s exciting news, Robin!

Your Marketing To Do List sounds exhausting, though. I think it’s very wise of you to wait on the Facebook account. It is lots of fun but very time consuming. And on a funny note, I can tell which of my “Friends” on Facebook are the extroverts. They completely drain me. I mean that lovingly, of course. HA.