Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Desperartely Seeking Cinderellas (or Cinderfellas!)

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programing to bring you ...


fAiRy gOdSisTeRs, iNk

Sneaking up on Surprising writers and illustrators everywhere!


SCBWI SUMMER CONFERENCE GRANT
Announcing a $1,000 grant opportunity
for a SCBWI member to attend the
August 1-4, 2008 SCBWI Summer Conference
in Los Angeles.

TO APPLY: Submit a 250 word double-spaced essay
describing what you hope to accomplish
by attending this year’s summer conference.


Send to: fairygodsistersink@yahoo.com

Application deadline: May 15, 2008
Winner will notified on June 1st, 2008

Questions about the grant may be sent to: mlhershey@aol.com

Fairy Godsisters, Ink. is a small, benevolent squadron of children's book authors who believe in the magic of passing forward lucky breaks, bounty and beneficence, as so many have done for us. We are Thalia Chaltas, Mary Hershey, Valerie Hobbs, R. L. La Fevers and Lee Wardlaw.


Please feel free to pass this information along or link to it with wild abandon. And good luck!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thalia, Mary, Robin, Lee and Val--this is such a lovely thing to do. I hope the good karma fairy smiles upon each of you. Since the post says it's okay to share this info I put it on Verla Kay's board. If I misunderstood and it's not okay let me know and I'll remove it.
Rebecca L-G

R.L. LaFevers said...

No Rebecca, you didn't misunderstand at all. Thank you so much for helping us get the word out!

Wild About Words said...

You gals ROCK! I've posted info about your generous grant on my blog as well.

May the good karma come right back atcha in the form of big, fat book contracts.

Thanks for your good work!
Donna

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Ditto Donna's post.

Anonymous said...

Here’s a slightly belated GIGANTIC thank you to Robin, Mary, Thalia, Valerie, and Lee for offering all of us an opportunity to win a grant to Los Angeles. (For some reason I haven’t been able to post on this site until today.)

Extremely generous of you all to do this!

Patty Palmer said...

You guys are fantastic! If I was planning on being around this summer, I would have jumped on this contest.
Hope you get tons of entries!

Anonymous said...

Question!

If we are not yet an SCWBI member ($$ reasons...I've been to teh local conferences for them but have never joined) could we join if we won or would we be DQ'ed?

Katia said...

Wow! This blog was meant for me... and all the others like me, out there. I didn't know that Ursula LeGuin quote, but how very true. I'm off to put a link on my own blog. Thank you all very much for giving a voice to all the introverts, out there. My first PB is coming out at the end of this month and whenever I think about what I'll be expected to do, I break into a sweat ;)

Mary Hershey said...

Hi, Katia, and welcome to the tribe! Glad you found us. Yeah, Ursula rocks hard doesn't she!

Congratulations on your first pb! Title please! Do you have a website you can link to so we can see?

Mary Hershey

Mary Hershey said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your question. You need to be a member of SCBWI in order to apply. We feel that strongly about
it. It's truly an essential network for children's writers and illustrators.

Do, do join! You won't regret it! Best investment you'll ever make in your career. Promise.
Mary Hershey

Katia said...

Thank you, Mary. I keep a blog, but have not gotten around to building a website, yet. I know, I should, I must, I will... soon... Title of the book is : Amadi's Snowman, and my full name is Katia Novet Saint-Lot, the illustrator is Dimitrea Tokunbo, and the book is published by Tilbury House. Thanks again for this blog. I started reading the old posts, yesterday. Great stuff !

Unknown said...

I wanted to chime in with my own thanks for doing this. I've applied (just got my entry in at the last minute--I've written it three times now!), but even if I don't win, it is nice to think about how there are other writers out there in the world who care and are willing to help those of us who are trying to reach that publication dream.