Some of you might have already done this when we first talked about it here on SVP, but if you haven’t, one of this week’s tasks is to explore what role you’d like writing and publishing to have in your life.
- What is it you enjoy about writing? The creativity? The freedom? The discipline?
- Why did you START writing? Because of the voices in your head? You wanted to earn a little extra cash on the side? It was the only path you could find to fame?
- Why do you KEEP writing?
- Why do you want to get published? What do you think that publishing will bring you that writing has not? Make a list of those things you hope being published will bring you. Be honest, and then study that list carefully. Is what you want really something that can be obtained through the publishing industry? Or is it something more nebulous that is actually attained through personal growth?
- Where does the act of writing fit in your life? Would you do it no matter if you ever got published? How much does it take away from other things you love? Are you willing to keep making those sacrifices? How will creating/sustaining an online presence feed that?
- How do you define success in general? How do you define success in your writing? Getting a book published? Getting a book published well? (There is a difference!) Money? Critical acclaim? The contract in hand? A bestseller list? Connecting with readers?